Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) operations commander Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi, one of many alleged masterminds of the 2008 Mumbai terror assaults, and was on Friday sentenced to 15 years in jail in a terror-financing case by an anti-terrorism courtroom in Pakistan’s Lahore. The 61-year-old Lakhvi, who was on bail since 2015 within the Mumbai assaults case, was arrested by the Counter-Terrorism Division (CTD) of Punjab province final Saturday.
“The Anti-Terrorism Courtroom (ATC) Lahore convicted Lakhvi for fee of offences of terrorism financing in a case registered by the CTD for 15 years underneath completely different part of the Anti-Terrorism Act 1997,” information company PTI quoted a courtroom official as saying after the listening to.
Choose Ejaz Ahmad Buttar sentenced Lakhvi, who pleaded earlier than the courtroom that he was “falsely implicated” within the case, to 5 years of rigorous imprisonment every on three counts with a superb of PKR 100,000 every on three counts. “In default of cost of superb, he should endure an imprisonment of six months every on three counts. He has been despatched to jail to serve the sentences,” the official stated, in line with PTI.
Additionally learn |Global terrorist Masood Azhar is finally a wanted man in Pak. Dawood next?
Lakhvi, an in depth relative of LeT founder Hafiz Mohammad Saeed, had a central position in planning and executing the assault on Mumbai that killed 166 folks and injured a whole lot extra in November 2008, in line with Indian and US safety officers.
Listed here are 10 issues it’s essential to learn about Lakhvi:
1. Lakhvi was born in Okara district of Pakistan’s Punjab province, the identical district that was residence to Ajmal Amir Kasab, the one one of many 10 terrorists concerned within the Mumbai assaults to be captured alive. Within the 1990s, Lakhvi was a member of the Jamiat Ahl-e-Hadith, LeT’s dad or mum physique.
2. Lakhvi labored at LeT’s essential centre at Muridke close to Lahore within the 1990s. Safety officers say he was actively concerned in combating in Jammu and Kashmir and later planning the LeT’s operations within the state.
3. Lakhvi was arrested a few week after the Mumbai assaults when Pakistani troopers raided a LeT camp on the outskirts of Muzaffarabad, the capital of Pakistan-occupied Kashmir.
4. A number of months later, he and 6 different males had been charged with planning, financing and executing the assault on Mumbai. Indian and US safety officers say phone and VoIP intercepts confirmed Lakhvi was current in a LeT management room in Karachi from the place the attackers obtained directions.
5. Regardless of being in jail from December 2008 to April 2015, Lakhvi continued to be the operations commander of the LeT. Lakhvi had unfettered entry to cellphones and the web, permitting him to direct the day-to-day actions of militants. His youngest spouse was allowed to stick with him in jail and he fathered a baby someday in 2010 on account of these conjugal visits, in line with Abu Jundal alias Zabiuddin Ansari, the Indian LeT operative deported from Saudi Arabia in 2012.
6. Lakhvi had a number of rooms subsequent to the jailer’s workplace in Adiala Jail and obtained about 100 guests each day who may meet him with out searching for permission from authorities. Former Pakistan military chief Common Ashfaq Kayani refused to behave on a request from US authorities to remove Lakhvi’s cellphones.
7. Lakhvi’s whereabouts had not been identified since he was launched on bail from a jail in Rawalpindi in April 2015. Nonetheless, it was extensively believed that he had continued taking part in a key position in directing the actions of the LeT even whereas he was in jail after being arrested within the aftermath of the Mumbai carnage. Indian diplomats and safety officers have prior to now described the trial of Lakhvi and the six different suspects in a Pakistani anti-terrorism courtroom as a farce.
8. Lakhvi was arrested by the Counter-Terrorism Department (CTD) of Punjab province final Saturday on terror financing expenses.
9. Lakhvi is accused of working a dispensary and utilizing funds collected for terrorism financing. He and others additionally collected funds from this dispensary and used these funds for additional terrorism financing. He additionally used these funds for private bills, CTD has stated.
10. Lakhvi can also be an UN-designated terrorist, along with belonging to proscribed organisation LeT.
(With company inputs)