The U.S. authorities’s first cargo of tens of millions of coronavirus vaccine doses to be divided amongst states and federal companies, together with the Division of Protection, will fall far wanting defending excessive precedence teams reminiscent of healthcare staff, a Reuters evaluation has discovered.
DEATHS AND INFECTIONS
– French well being authorities reported 11,221 new confirmed COVID-19 circumstances previously 24 hours, down from 12,696 on Thursday and 12,459 final Friday in a continuation of an virtually month-long downward development.
– Greater than half of Spaniards usually are not prepared to get COVID-19 vaccine pictures as quickly as they’re obtainable, a survey confirmed, as the federal government introduced a goal of 15-20 million vaccinations by mid-2021.
– Three of Austria’s 9 provinces kicked off a nationwide effort to check as a lot of the inhabitants as potential earlier than Christmas.
– Switzerland stated it might permit ski resorts to stay open for home tourism.
– Portugal’s parliament authorized a 15-day extension of a state of emergency to Dec. 23 below a decree that envisages an extra extension into January.
– Canada has doubled the variety of doses of Moderna Inc’s COVID-19 vaccine it has on agency order, Procurement Minister Anita Anand stated, whereas the nation’s high physician warned that day by day new circumstances might high 10,000 by January.
– U.S. FDA Commissioner Stephen Hahn stated it was sensible to count on that 20 million Individuals could possibly be vaccinated by the top of this 12 months.
– The mayor of Mexico Metropolis requested companies within the capital to briefly shut their places of work and resume work-from-home schemes.
– South Korea’s capital, Seoul, introduced unprecedented restrictions shuttering most institutions and outlets at 9 p.m. and reducing again public transportation operations by 30% within the evenings.
MIDDLE EAST AND AFRICA
– Moderna introduced an expanded pact with the Israeli well being ministry to produce a further four million doses of its vaccine candidate.
– The World Well being Group hopes to have half a billion doses of COVID-19 vaccines obtainable for distribution by the worldwide COVAX initiative within the first quarter of 2021, its chief scientist stated.
– Two vaccine candidates developed by China’s Clover Biopharmaceuticals triggered robust immune responses in an early-stage human trial and seemed to be protected, the corporate stated.
– President-elect Joe Biden stated Friday’s “grim” jobs report exhibits the financial restoration is stalling and warned the “darkish winter” forward would exacerbate the ache until the U.S. Congress passes a coronavirus aid invoice instantly.
– Rising prospects for a U.S. coronavirus aid package deal after a grim employment report helped enhance demand for riskier belongings, taking the greenback to a 2-1/2-year low and pushing oil costs to their highest since March. [MKTS/GLOB]
(Compiled by Milla Nissi and Amy Caren Daniel; Edited by Jonathan Oatis and Sriraj Kalluvila)
Disclaimer: This submit has been auto-published from an company feed with none modifications to the textual content and has not been reviewed by an editor